Thursday

Fried Anchovies with Chilli and Tamarind Juice

When I was living in the UK, I often cooked this simple dish whenever time was constraint. And whenever I make this dish back home, I often reminiscent those times where the weather was cold and windy, and I would sample this dish with a hot piping rice. Simply heaven! And now, when I have no appetite to eat anything fancy, I would open the fridge, take out the anchovies (ikan bilis) and fry them with some chillies and onions in no time. Sometimes, you do not have to eat anything fancy to feel full, simple dish like this one can fill up one's stomach sometimes even hundred times more than anything else! Do try!

Ingredients
300 gm anchovies, fried until golden brown
2 garlic, chopped
1 big onion, chopped
a cup of tamarind juice
6-8 cili padi or thai bird's chilli
3 green fresh chillies, sliced thinly
salt and pepper to taste

Methods
1. Firstly, in a skillet, drizzle some oil and when the oil is heated, put in the onions and garlic and fry until golden brown.

2. Secondly, put in green fresh chillies, thai chillies and tamarind juice and cook for about a minute before adding in the fried anchovies, salt and pepper to taste.

3. Thirdly, stir all ingredients well and serve in a serving dish and eat with hot piping rice.

*serves 4-6 people   

No comments: