Sunday

British Scones

I have always loved scones. When I was living in the UK, I would go to one bakery and bought a few selection of scones for my tea time. Normally, I would buy the classic ones with raisins. When I got home, I would put a dollop of butter and jam, sat in front of the television and savoured the scones with some tea. 

Whenever I found scones in any bakery shelves, I would definitely buy some. Today, I decided to bake my own scones. Much to my kids' request which has been delayed, I got myself some time today to make this very easy recipe. The ones that I made was the simplest of all scones. Just plain flour, no raisins even though I would love to have some raisins ( I was actually out of raisins). Here is the recipe.

Ingredients
2 cups of self-raising flour
1 table spoon butter
1/2 tea spoon salt
1 cup milk (150ml)
2 table spoon sugar
1 egg (polishing)
Raisins (optional)

Methods
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degree celcius.

2. In a mixing bowl, mix flour, butter, salt and sugar. Mix until the mixture turns into bread crumbs.

3. After that, add milk and raisins (optional). Knead well to form a sticky dough.

4. Take out the dough, put it in a flat surface. By using your hands and palms, form a 2cm thick dough. Do not tamper with the dough too much.

5. Press the dough with any round shaped glass and put it in a baking tray which has been greased lightly.

6. Lastly, polish the scones with some eggs and bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes (depending on your oven).

*serves 3-6 people

No comments: