Monday

Cheese over Nasi Lemak Anyone?

Oh Yes...I woke up yesterday morning with a Birthday wish from my two little angels. I was overwhelmed. They gave me a kiss each on my cheek and that was enough to keep me smiling all day. My mom wished me a happy birtday and cooked a delicious nasi lemak. Her nasi lemak is one of the best nasi lemak I have ever eaten. In the cooking department, this is one of her signature dishes that I still cannot come at par with. Her nasi lemak or coconut rice is always rich and flavourful, with a distinct ginger aroma. Her sambal ikan bilis always turn out beautifully.

When mom cooks nasi lemak, I will always have a second serving...Not good for those who are dieting or on a strict diet, but, well...who cares...it's not that you get to eat mom's nasi lemak everyday anyway. On my birthday, she cooked nasi lemak and so I enjoyed the taste every minute I put the rice and the sambal in my mouth. No cakes, no balloons....only nasi lemak. Lemak or not, the empty stomach neeeded some filling...

And so I enjoyed my meals oblivious to my two little angels. I have put a plate each for them but they refused to eat the rice.

"Mummy...it's rice again....I want fries,and sausages," my eldest muttered, complaining in between her breath. The younger sister was echoing the same sentiment.

"Today, opah cooked nasi lemak. You like nasi lemak. Why not today?" I was baffled.

"No...I want fries....pleasee....and sausages," the eldest went to the fridge and looked inside the freezer. To her dismay there was only a packet of chicken nuggets. She took the packet out and 'ordered' me to fry them for her. And opah, her grandma, came to the rescue and took the packet away.

Hmm....is it my fault or are the younger generations today are more interested in fast food that are not too healthy for them? My eldest daughter sometimes refuses to eat rice at all. She prefers biscuits dipped in MILO, or tuna sandwishes, sausages and fries...and mashed potatoes. She eats cheese by itself like we eat the rice. She likes to lick salt and bites lime. Or is it in her genes? Hmm...maybe....maybe it's in her genes...she is not 100% Malay anyway...eventhough I prefer to think she is. We cannot live without rice...my mom even worse...Eventhough my eating habits have changed a lot over the years, I still must eat rice at least once a day.

Anyway, the younger generations have more choices and exposure in their eating habits and preferences. Even the older ones, like me have changed a lot in the way we look at food. I will never eat biscuits or cookies at tea-time but now I do. I eat bread like I eat rice now. Sometimes I do not eat rice in a day at all. Hmm...maybe it's my fault. What I eat will be an example for them, wouldn't it? Anyway, I will give them a few days...after that, they will be asking for nasi lemak...I bet they will!

I reluctantly took out the nuggets and fried them anyway!






No comments: