Sunday

A Malaysian in London...Some time ago.


I watched a programme, Langkah Mawi... World over ASTRO Ria a fortnight ago. About Mawi and his travels around the world. The one I was watching was his travel in London. What seems to be a 'shy' guy before, Mawi has now progressing a lot... considering that he is still new to the entertainment industry. What attracts me the most is his confidence level...which has soared...rocketed high. I remember a kampung boy who was giggling and sometimes 'malu-malu' in answering question. But now he is not like that anymore. His style and manner has been polished. His performance on stage has also improved, with more vigour and confidence.

But what I am interested to talk today is not about Mawi and his full pocket, not about his love life or his marriage that soon to take place. It's about this Malaysian restaurant that he visited in London that brings back old memories. I first visited London in 1993, following my university programme when I was in my third year. I stayed with a British family for two weeks in Leeds and had the experience to sample the British lifestyle. I got to know Sandra and Christopher who happened to work at the Leeds University, which I visited. I still remember how concern Sandra was about me. She made sure I had my meals, drove me to the mall even washed and folded my clothes. I still remember the sweet frangrant floral smell from her kitchen that might come from her laundry detergent. Two weeks were not enough but I had to say goodbye. I knew I would return.

In 1996,I returned to do my masters degree. With no scholarship, thanks to my mom who supported me LOL, I headed to London with her. We stayed in my mom's friend house in Finchley before heading up a bit north...Leicester. My mom has been a great source of support for me. Coming to think again, she has done a lot of wonderful things, in terms of finance and her energy to help and be with me during that time. She stayed with me for a week until I found a place to live before returning home.

I was practically a Malaysian living alone. When I arrived, I knew nobody and my circle of friends were quite limited. I got to know a few Malaysian families and some Malaysian students. I got to know two graduate students who live nearby and with them I often mingle. We would go shopping, eating out and visiting friends. Sometimes we would bump into one another at campus. As students living abroad, to find Malaysian food that could stop our cravings was quite difficult. We had to cook on our own and sometimes with a tight budget, our 'soruu' became limited.

There, I realised how lucky I was being a Malaysian. If I think of nasi lemak or mee goreng, or goreng pisang or ais kacang, I can just drive the car and get them instantly...But where can you find mamak restaurants or Mak Minah Nasi Lemak by the roadside in England? What I missed most was the atmosphere...The street and night stalls, teh tarik and roti canai...where can you get this in London with a true Malaysian ambience? I don't think you can.

In Leicester City, there was an Indian Fast Food restaurant situated at a corner...Mc Indian. If I crave for KFC style fried chicken or briani rice or samosa, I would drop in and buy them after a long queue. Or I would order from a Malaysian housewife who sometimes sold some foodstuff, like laksa without chilli,bunga kantan and daun kesum, which ended up looking like a thin mud and tasted like air asam jawa. Or mee goreng which was actually spaghetti goreng..Huk..huk...sorry Kak...Tapi, lapar dan teringin punya pasal, sapu ajelah sampai habis.

And seeing Mawi on TV two weeks ago in a stylish restaurant, Satay House reminded me of my visit there. I was with a classmate visiting London to watch the musical Miss Saigon. The day before returning, we decided to go to this Malay owned restaurant situated in Paddington. I have had seen a documentary on Satay House and its owner back home in Malaysia a few years back and I knew I would eat there one day.

From Sussex Garden we walked and headed to the restaurant. A British lady took our order. We were both hungry...and kempunan nak makan...We ordered satay, keow teow goreng, rojak, soto and sugar cane drinks. We ate like we haven't seen food for a year! The food were fantastic...the pricing reasonable.

That night we slept at Malaysia Hall with a full stomach, a smile and a fulfilled mission. At night we dreamed of satay and nasi lemak. The next morning we ate our breakfast at the canteen. The food was superb! The murtabak and the fried noodles were like what you can get back home. However, I do not know if Malaysia Hall still exist now. I heard it has moved but I am not sure where.

For Malaysians who happen to be in London, and feel like eating sambal belacan,nasi lemak, ,lontong,sambal tumis udang dan petai and drinking teh tarik or ais kacang...Satay House is the place for you. I understand the cravings...

Satay House has been around for thirty years and is managed by the second generation now. All the prices are below ten pounds and you can get a generous portion.

Satay House is situated in 13, Sale Place, Paddington London W21PX. You can visit their website http://www.satay-house.co.uk/ for more details.

No comments: